I don’t know about you, but I just love wasting time (or researching, your call) watching endless nail art videos on Instagram and YouTube. There’s something about watching someone create a beautiful and intricate pattern on someone else’s nails that really satisfies me, strange I know.
But there are so many tricks and hacks that go into making one of those videos look completely effortless, trust me it’s not as quick or easy as it looks! Getting the perfect 15-60 second video or photo is a lot harder than we all think, so I have compiled a list of behind the scenes tricks that the everyday person can utilise to make their manicures look like they belong on the Instagram trending page!
- Most nail art bloggers use professional lights, tripods AND cameras to film their videos, so don’t be discouraged if you’re having trouble trying to recreate the latest nail art video. We’ve all tried to balance our smartphone on a book to film or photograph our amazing manicure and had it turn out terribly!
- They set themselves up with everything you could possible need to film, i.e. paper towel, acetone remover, q tips, cotton balls, extra polish etc. In case something goes wrong during filming they can just re-film a step straightaway with all their tools at hand.
- It takes a long time to film! Think how long it takes to paint your own nails, just a plain jane regular manicure with no nail art whatsoever, sometimes with drying time it can take an hour. Nail artists can spend longer than that filming a video, depending on the detail in the art it can take a really long time. Just because in the editing they have condensed it into a minute does NOT mean it was quick to create!
- They use cool tools like nail polish plates, allowing you to put drops of polish on the plate and easily pick up the next color needed to paint detail. Nail plates also mean you have access to all colors of the design at the same time during filming.
What do you think of our tips and tricks? Are you surprised at the time and effort that goes into filming those short nail art videos? Comment below and let us know!
Latest posts by Mette Jorgensen (see all)
- Valentine’s Day Nail Art Inspiration - February 10, 2017
- Sporting Mani’s – Super Bowl vs. Australian Tennis Open - February 3, 2017
- Time for a Nail Detox? - January 20, 2017