Memorial Day is this coming Monday and is a day for us to remember and honor those who died while serving in our Country’s armed forces. A Memorial Day tradition observed by Americans every year is to decorate the graves of those who lost their lives serving our country, whether it be with American Flags or flowers. Poppies are symbolic of remembering military personnel who have died in a war and were first adopted as a memorial flower for the US after WW1. The remembrance poppy is inspired by the poem ‘In Flander’s Fields’, which described the poppies as the first flowers to grow in the churned-up earth of Flanders after the first world war.
We’ve created a tutorial that not only honors the red white and blue but is a perfect symbol of thanks and remembrance to those who sacrificed for us. So read on for our Memorial Day ‘Poppy’ tutorial!
1. Paint your nails with 1-2 coats of your chosen white base coat. We used Essie ‘Blanc’.
2. Using your dotter tool, dot 4-5 red dots in a circle to create the petals of your poppy. Remember not to make it too perfectly circular or your poppies may turn into daisies. You can choose to do multiple poppies per nail or just the one, we mixed it up. Our red of choice was Faby ‘Faby’s Red’.
3. Once your red petals have dried, dot a large blue dot in the center of your petals. We used Mac ‘Double Trouble’.
4. If you want, you can add a green stem or leaf to your poppies. CND ‘Carou-Celery’ was our choice.
5. Once your nails have dried add a top coat and you are done!
How will you be celebrating Memorial Day? Will you be wearing poppies on your nails like us? Let us know on social media @PedicureDotCom!